Welcome to Bluffton, South Carolina!
Bluffton, South Carolina; the residential heart of the Lowcountry. Rooted in more than two-hundred years of history and culture, Bluffton represents what some call "the last true coastal village of the South." We take pride in not only our cultural heritage, but also the inimitable landscape and natural environment that shape this place we call "home."
The Town of Bluffton is located in Beaufort County, the southernmost coastal county in South Carolina. It is situated on a high bluff overlooking the May River, a pristine waterway that has strongly contributed to the Town's history and continued success. Bluffton is located just 12 miles west of Hilton Head Island, SC and approximately 20 miles northeast of Savannah, GA. It is also easily accessible from Intrastate Highways 46, 170, & 278 and Interstate 95.
Contact the Town of Bluffton via phone at 843.706.4500 or in person at Town Hall, conveniently located at 20 Bridge Street in the Old Town. Once again, welcome--we're glad you're here.
The Heyward House is one of only ten antebellum structures remaining in the town of Bluffton, South Carolina and is the fourth oldest structure remaining in southern Beaufort County. Serving as Bluffton’s official Welcome Center, the Heyward House is at the center of Bluffton’s National Register Historic District. In addition to touring this house museum and adjacent grounds, you can also pick up a walking tour map, the Old Town merchants guide to art galleries, and more.
The Bluffton Historical Preservation Society was established, over a quarter century ago, to protect, preserve and promote the cultural heritage and history of St. Luke’s Parish (est. 1767) through education, marketing, hands-on preservation of buildings and sites, maintenance of an historical archive and operation of the Heyward House Historic Center. In 1998, the Bluffton Historical Preservation Society purchased the Heyward House. Their Caldwell Archive is one of the largest collections of archival resource materials.
History of Bluffton, SC
In 1852 the Town was officially incorporated by an act of the South Carolina General Assembly and comprised approximately one square mile. A steamboat landing was constructed at the end of Calhoun Street at this time, which allowed the Town to be a stopover for travelers between Savannah and Beaufort or Charleston.Within one year of the capture of Fort Sumter, Bluffton became a safe haven for residents fleeing Union occupation of the South Carolina barrier islands. Bluffton was a headquarters for Confederate forces until Union forces on Hilton Head Island ordered the Town’s destruction in 1863. Approximately 60 structures were in the Town before the attack, only the Town’s two churches and fifteen residences remained standing after the attack.
Bluffton Hotel and Resort Listings
23 Towne Drive
105 Okatie Center
Hampton Inn & Suites
29 William Pope Dr.
Hilton Garden Inn
1575 Fording Island Road
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
35 Bluffton Road
The Inn at Palmetto Bluff
1376 Fording Island Road
Bluffton Links of Interest